Sunday, November 26, 2023

Quantifying Workouts & the Human Machine


It's interesting to me how much we tend to quantify things at the gym. "How many reps should I do?" "How many minutes do I need to be on the treadmill?" "How many calories did I burn?" "How many pounds have I lost?" While the numbers do have a certain amount of importance, I find focusing too much on them takes something away from the experience.

Feeling my body moving and doing is exhilarating. Knowing all parts from the synapses firing in my brain and the fibers in my muscles making limbs move to the my heart pumping blood to provide more oxygen to my lungs and body is nothing short of miraculous.

So while it is important to keep track of one's progress, the “mindful workout," I try to practice, feeling ALL parts working in harmony, is incredible. It reminds me that I am a complex biological machine capable of infinite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment